Monday 16 March 2009

The Lord's Prayer: A Third Goddess Version


Our Mother, who art within us,
We celebrate your many names.
Your wisdom come. Your will be done,
Unfolding from the depths of us.

Each day You give us all that we need.
You remind us of our limits and we let go.
You support us in our power
and we act with courage.

For You are the dwelling place within us,
the empowerment around us,
and the celebration among us.

As it was in the very beginning,
may it be now.


This lovely version was written by Patricia Lynn Reilly and is found in her book A God Who Looks Like Me (1995). While the poem follows fairly closely the traditional structure of the prayer, it contains beautiful affirmations that will be particularly resonant with women. I especially like the image of the Divine Feminine as the "dwelling place within us."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I think this version of the Lord's Prayer is by Miriam Therese Winter. Regards, Jan Garood

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Thank you for the correction, Jan! I'll amend the post accordingly.

Anonymous said...

Hi. The "Our Mother" poem-prayer was written by me and included in my first book A God Who Looks Like Me published in 1995 by Random House. I am so grateful it continues to inspire and bless. Patricia Lynn Reilly.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Thank you for the corrected correction, Patricia! I will amend the info accordingly. I appreciate you contacting me about it!